WQED Pittsburgh Board elects new Board and Community Advisory Board Members
WQED PITTSBURGH BOARD OF DIRECTORS
ELECTS TEN NEW MEMBERS AND PASSES BUDGET FOR FISCAL YEAR 2009
Board also ratifies nine new members to Community Advisory Board
PITTSBURGH – The WQED Pittsburgh Board of Directors named ten new members to the Board of Directors and nine new members to the Community Advisory Board (CAB) at its annual meeting last night at the Fred Rogers Studio at WQED. The Board also approved a balanced budget for the company for Fiscal year 2009, which begins October 1.
New Board members elected to a three-year term are:
- Carole E. Bailey, Executive Services Consultant
- Neil Barclay, President and CEO, August Wilson Center for African American Culture
- Gregg Behr, President, The Grable Foundation
- Yvonne Campos, President, Campos, Inc.
- Alex Johnson, Ph.D., President, Community College of Allegheny County
- Dana E. Malin, Director, Benefits, American Eagle Outfitters
- Mickey McManus, President, CEO and Principal, MAYA Design
- Dee Jay Oshry, CFRE, Consultant in Fundraising
- Donna C. Peterman, Chief Communications Officer, The PNC Financial Series Group
- Tom R. Tabor, Senior Vice President and CIO, Information Services Group, Highmark, Inc
Richard L. Stover, ManagingPrincipal, Birchmere Capital, was elected Chair of the Board and Debra Caplan, Senior Vice President, Allegheny General Hospital, was elected Vice Chair.
Outgoing Board Chair James E. Abraham was named a Trustee Emeritus of the Board. Mr. Abraham is an attorney in private practice in Pittsburgh and has served on the Board for nine years and has chaired the Executive, Governance, and Audit committees.
Departing board members who had served two terms were named members of the Honor Board. They are: Ellen Brooks, William C. Byham, Hilda Pang Fu and Daniel J. Lebish.
The Board of Directors approved nine new members to the Community Advisory Board, who were recommended by the CAB Nominating Committee and approved by the Governance Committee of the WQED Board. The Community Advisory Board reviews the programming goals, the service provided, the significant policy decisions rendered by WQED-TV, and advises the Board with respect to whether the programming and services of WQED-TV are meeting the needs of the communities served.
The new Community Advisory Board members elected to a three-year term are:
· Heather Arnet, Executive Director,Women and Girls Foundation
· Jon E. Graf, Vice President and Part Owner, The Priory
· Lisa Hoitsma, Director, Gateway to the Arts
· McCrae M. Martino, Senior Program Officer,TheForbes Funds
· Evans Moore
· Rev. Kyoki Roberts, Buddhist Priest, Pittsburgh Zen Center
· Sylvia Rhor Samaniego, Assistant Professor of Art History, Carlow University
· Katherine Seelman, Associate Dean, Pittsburgh School of Health and Rehab Science
· Ambassador Dan Simpson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
At the meeting, the Board approved a $21,177,056 budget for Fiscal Year 2009, which runs from October 1, 2008 through September 30, 2009. The conservative budget reflects a slight decrease in revenue with opportunities for growth.
“WQED is in the best shape it’s been in since I arrived in 1994,” said George L. Miles, Jr., President and CEO of WQED. “The company is strong programmatically, financially, and operationally and this is the eleventh out of twelve years to reflect a break-even or above position in the budget.”
WQED Pittsburgh, honored with the 2007 and 2006 Mid-Atlantic Emmy® Award for Station Excellence, was founded in 1954 as the nation’s first community-supported broadcaster. WQED creates, produces and distributes quality programs, products and services to engage, inform, educate and entertain the public within its community and around the world. WQED Pittsburgh is one of the first broadcasters in the country to be fully high-definition (HD) in its studio and field production capabilities. It is the parent company of WQED-TV (PBS); WQED-DT; WQED: The Neighborhood Channel; WQED-HD; WQEX-TV (A ShopNBC affiliate); WQED-FM 89.3/Pittsburgh; WQEJ-FM 89.7/Johnstown; a publishing division that includes PITTSBURGH MAGAZINE; local and national television and radio productions; WQED Interactive (www.wqed.org); and The WQED Education Department.
- Pressroom Home
- About WQED
- WQED-FM 89.3
- Community Engagement
- WQED Interactive
- In the News
- Corporate Announcements
4802 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Senior Director of